Ever since Battle of the Books in elementary school, I’ve loved having a summer reading list. This year, I wanted to give you some recommendations for what to read and share some of the books I’m planning to read this summer as you create your own list.
What I Recommend
I get a lot of requests for light, easy reads. To be perfectly honest, this can be tough for me because I don’t love the “chick lit” or romance categories. That being said, I’ve recently read some great books that move quickly but still have substance — perfect for summer reading. I highly recommend any of these books:
- Such a Fun Age by Kiley Reid — This quick read spotlights the white privilege and biases that result in racism even when intentions are good.
- Body Talk by Katie Sturino –– A must-read for anyone who deals with body and self-esteem issues (don’t we all?)!
- The Last Thing He Told Me by Laura Dave – This thriller hooks you immediately and has you invested in main character’s journey to find out about her husband’s past. (Julia Roberts is set to star in the TV series!)
- Set Boundaries, Find Peace by Nedra Glover Tawwab — Summer is the perfect time to reset and think through boundaries in all areas of life — this is the book to help you do that.
- To All the Boys I’ve Loved Before by Jenny Han — This book is the first in a trilogy about letters that reveal secrets about high school love. I couldn’t put it down and can’t wait to read the other two.
- The Woman in the Window by A.J. Finn — You will be on the edge of your pool chair with this thriller from several years ago but that is now a new release on Netflix.
- American Royals by Katherine McGee — I loved this one that explores what an American royal family (and all the dynamics) might look like.
- The Hate You Give by Angie Thomas — A serious and extremely relevant book about police brutality and racism that still feels approachable enough that I had my middle school daughter read it.
What I’ll Be Reading
I’m so excited to read this summer and am making an effort to add some lighter books to my list. I think what I’ve chosen below is a good mix! Since I haven’t read these, I’ve included the Goodreads ratings below:
- Malibu Rising by Taylor Jenkins Reid — I love the books I’ve read by Reid. This one has a 4.28 rating on Goodreads.
- What’s Mine and Yours — This was a Book of the Month pick in April. While it has a 3.66 rating on Goodreads, I’ve heard really good things.
- Last Summer at the Golden Hotel by Elyssa Friedland — This new release just screams summer reading, doesn’t it. It’s got a 3.99 rating on Goodreads.
- Majesty by Katherine McGee — I’ve heard the sequel to American Royals is even better than the first. (And as you can see above, I loved the first!) It has a 3.76 rating on Goodreads.
- The Star-Crossed Sisters of Tuscany by Lori Nelson Spielman — This has been on my list for a while and has a 4.25 rating on Goodreads. I can’t wait to “travel” to Italy this summer through this book.
- People We Meet on Vacation by Emily Henry — This is a popular pick this summer and I’m hopping on board because it has a 4.33 rating on Goodreads.
- The Most Fun We Ever Had by Claire Lombardo — Love a good family drama, so hoping this one delivers! It has a 3.96 rating on Goodreads.
- Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain — It’s been sitting on my shelves and I have no idea why I haven’t read it. We loved his show No Reservations. Kitchen Confidential has a 4.08 rating on Goodreads.
What are you reading this summer? Have you read any of the books above or these other beach reads?