While I tend to prefer reading a physical book to listening to one, I still love audiobooks because of how they allow me to multitask. Whether it’s laundry, cooking or a long walk, audiobooks make the time fly and allow me to get a little extra reading in that I wouldn’t have been able to otherwise.
Recently, my friend Jules Buono of The Literary Lifestyle, and I did an Instagram giveaway, asking our fellow readers to weigh in on their favorite audio books. I’ve pulled together a list that includes a few of these recommendations, a few I’ve loved, and some others I’ve heard are outstanding. If you’re looking for more audiobook ideas, check out Jules’s post, Best Audio Books of All Time for Road Trips.
In my opinion, a great audiobook not only has to have a great storyline like any other book, but also has to have an amazing narrator. A bad narrator can ruin an entire book for me. Often, I find I like a full cast even better than a great narrator. It feels like you’re listening to an incredible play. All of my favorite audiobooks had either a great narrator or great cast. Here they are:
My Audiobook Favorites
- Daisy Jones & the Six by Taylor Jenkins Reid
- Born a Crime by Trevor Noah
- The Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling
- The Dutch House by Ann Patchett (narrated by Tom Hanks)
- Open Book by Jessica Simpson
- A Promised Land by Barack Obama
Audiobooks on My TBR List
These books have also come highly recommended from either our giveaway or other friends’ recommendations:
- Boys on the Boat (Edward Hermann a.k.a Richard Gilmore)
- The Push by Ashley Audrain
- American Dirt by Jeanine Cummins
- Know My Name by Chanel Miller (I read it but would love to listen to it as it’s narrated by Miller)
- The Only Plane in the Ski by Garrett M. Graff
- Milk and Honey by Rupi Kaur
- Say Nothing by Patrick Radden Keefe
What audiobooks do you love? Find more of my favorite books here!